Madagascar President Dissolves Government After ‘GEN Z’ Protests

MADAGASCAR President has said he will dissolve his government, following days of youth-led protests over longstanding water and power cuts.

“We acknowledge and apologise if members of the government have not carried out the tasks assigned to them,” Andry Rajoelina said in a televised national address on Monday.

The so-called Gen-Z protests have seen thousands of predominantly young demonstrators take to the streets in cities across Madagascar since Thursday, under the rallying cry: “We want to live, not survive”.

The UN’s human rights chief condemned the “unnecessary force” used by security forces to quell the unrest, saying that at least 22 people have been killed and 100 others injured.

Madagascar’s foreign ministry has rejected the UN’s figures, alleging the data is “based on rumours or misinformation”.

Protests first started in the capital Antananarivo, but have since spread to eight cities across the country.

READ Also  Natembeya's Return TO Lavingston Sparks Fresh Uproar Over Demolitions

A dusk-to-dawn curfew was imposed in Antananarivo after reports of violence and looting, with police firing rubber bullets and tear gas to disperse the crowds.

UNCHR head Volker Tรผrk said he was “shocked” by the security forces’ violent crackdown that he said also saw arrests, beatings and live bullets used against demonstrators.

“I urge the security forces to desist from the use of unnecessary and disproportionate force and to immediately release all arbitrarily detained protesters,” Tรผrk said in a statement on Monday.

According to the UN, the dead “include protesters and bystanders killed by members of the security forces, but also others killed in subsequent widespread violence and looting by individuals and gangs not associated with the protesters”.

READ Also  Here Is Raila Odinga's Trending Photo

The protests started peacefully on Thursday in the capital Antananarivo
Last week, Madagascar’s president announced that he had sacked the energy minister for failing to do his job properly, but protesters demanded that the president and the rest of his government step down too.

Thousands took to the streets once again on Monday.

“I understand the anger, the sadness, and the difficulties caused by power cuts and water supply problems,” Rajoelina said during his address on state broadcaster Televiziona Malagasy.

He said he had “terminated the functions of the prime minister and the government” and applications for a new premier would be received over the next three days before a new government is formed.

However, those currently in office would act as interim ministers pending the formation of a new government, he noted.

READ Also  Video: Raila Odinga's Brother Holds A Meeting With Nyanza Delegates

Rajoelina added that he wanted to hold talks with young people.

A banner at one of last week’s demonstrations in Antananarivo read: “We don’t want trouble, we just want our rights”.

But some reports last week suggested protesters had damaged – possibly by setting fire to the homes of at least two legislators. The “Gen Z” movement alleges, however, that paid goons had looted various buildings in order to undermine their cause.

Madagascar has been rocked by multiple uprisings since it gained independence in 1960, including mass protests in 2009 that forced former president Marc Ravalomanana to step down and saw Rajoelina come to power.

The protests mark the most significant challenge the president has faced since his third re-election in 2023.

BBC

Related Posts

Update: Iran Threaten To Bomb American Cities

An Iranian lawmaker warned that in the event of war with the US, Tehran could strike targets inside Americaโ€”including โ€œTrumpโ€™s own palace. โ€Amir Hayat Moghaddam, a member of Iranโ€™s parliament…

Rumors Swirl That President Ruto Is Uneasy About Oburuโ€™s Ability To Marshal The Numbers, Casting Doubt On His Reliability

As a result, Ruto is expected to keep Kindiki firmly in place as Deputy President, signaling continuity at the top. Meanwhile, Oburu is strategizing, heโ€™s considering rallying Team Edwin Sifuna…

You Missed

Update: Iran Threaten To Bomb American Cities

  • By Milton
  • February 20, 2026
  • 2 views
Update: Iran Threaten To Bomb American Cities

Rumors Swirl That President Ruto Is Uneasy About Oburuโ€™s Ability To Marshal The Numbers, Casting Doubt On His Reliability

  • By Milton
  • February 20, 2026
  • 2 views
Rumors Swirl That President Ruto Is Uneasy About Oburuโ€™s Ability To Marshal The Numbers, Casting Doubt On His Reliability

Vladimir Putin Welcomed Bruno Rodrรญguez Parrilla At The Kremlin In Moscow

  • By Milton
  • February 20, 2026
  • 2 views
Vladimir Putin Welcomed Bruno Rodrรญguez Parrilla At The Kremlin In Moscow

Breaking: Vini Jr Statement

  • By Milton
  • February 18, 2026
  • 2 views
Breaking: Vini Jr Statement

Update: Socialite Corazon Kwamboka Has Announced tihat She Will Run For The Nairobi Women Rep. Seat In 2027

  • By Milton
  • February 17, 2026
  • 4 views
Update: Socialite Corazon Kwamboka Has Announced tihat She Will Run For The Nairobi Women Rep. Seat In 2027

So Did The Russian Man Destroy Marriages Or Just Exposed Them?

  • By Milton
  • February 17, 2026
  • 5 views
So Did The Russian Man Destroy Marriages Or Just Exposed Them?